An oral examination is a huge part of preventive dentistry. Examinations typically consist of diagnostic X-rays, an evaluation of previous dental work, and screening for signs of oral cancer, tooth decay, or gum erosion.
Routine oral examinations allow our team to catch serious problems early on before they become costly or damaging.
Why Are Oral Examinations Important?
preventive measure needed to detect issues that may be arising in the rest of your body.are not just for your oral health, they’re a
Did you know that signs or symptoms of some systemic diseases, like rheumatoid arthritis or diabetes, may show themselves in your mouth first? Yes, it’s possible. If our dentist or hygienists find any indication of such diseases, we can then refer you to your doctor for further treatment.
Oral examinations also allow our dentist the time to provide you with helpful tips on teeth care.
What Will Happen
When you visit our Portage dental office for your painless oral examination, you can expect a few things to happen.
Our family dentist and dental hygienists will:
- Evaluate your overall health and oral hygiene.
- Assess your risk of tooth decay, root decay, and gum or bone disease.
- Determine your need for any tooth restoration or replacement.
- Screen for oral cancer.
- Check your bite and jaw for any issues.
- Offer advice on proper teeth cleaning techniques.
- Evaluate your need for fluoride treatment.
- Take dental X-rays to look for tumors or cysts, if you are due for them.
In a nutshell, an oral examination is intended to catch oral health issues before they progress beyond simple treatment. Depending on your current condition, you may require additional diagnostic procedures during the exam.